Subject: Re: bug#19177: 25.0.50; pretty printer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 16:14:07 +0200

Leo Liu <[email-masked]> writes:

> The very limited pp.el can easily print hundreds of lines for what can
> be beautifully put into dozens of lines. This makes the pp'd text hard
> to read.
>
> In the following example, pp would print nearly 300 lines while SBCL's
> pprint only prints 50ish lines:
>
> ([1 ((env nil) (bound nil) (free nil)) ]
>  (([1 ((env nil) (bound nil) (free nil)) ]))
>  (([1 ((env nil) (bound (f tree)) (free nil)) ]

[...]

>            (([9 ((env (f gs tree tree1)) (bound nil) (free (tree))) ])
>             ([9 ((env (f gs tree tree1)) (bound nil) (free (tree1)))
>              ])))))))))))))

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately have not received
any responses yet.)

I see that SBCL's pretty-printer has its oddities, too -- the space
before the "]" and a newline at one point...

Anyway, `pp' prints arrays in pretty much the same way it prints lists,
and I think this makes sense, and it pretty readable.  (If a bit
verbose.)  So I'm closing this bug report as a "wontfix".

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no