Subject: Re: bug#19175: 24.4; make-frame-on-display fails if emacs started with -nw

From: Mario Becroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:32:15 +1300

"Jan D." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi.
>
> Does
>
> M-x make-frame-on-display RET
> When prompted: :0 RET
>
> work (note, just :0 not myhost:0)?
>
> If it does, then it is likely your X server that has changed to not
> accept TCP/IP connections.
>
> 	Jan D.

Thanks for your response. To clarify, my X server is working fine and
accepting TCP connections, as demonstrated by the fact that emacs
started without the -nw option, with the same display specification,
works correctly. The problem is with emacs when started with the -nw or
--daemon options, and then later using make-frame-on-display. This
problem first appeared in a recent version of emacs, I think around
version 24. From memory, version 23 was definitely working, but I'm not
sure whether earlier versions of 24 were working.

I can't actually try using a Unix domain socket connection as you
suggest in my environment, since the emacs process and the X server are
on separate hosts. If it would help, I could configure a test host with
both emacs and an X server, and test whether the bug also occurs with
Unix domain X connections.

-- 
Mario Becroft <[email-masked]>       t: @MarioBecroft
p: +64-9-974-9244  m: +64-21-038-5178  w: http://www.becroft.co.nz/