Subject: bug#19170: closed (Re: bug#19170: 25.0.50; enhancement request: `compare-windows' use across frames)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 00:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19170: 25.0.50; enhancement request: `compare-windows' use across frames

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19170: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19170
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19170: 25.0.50; enhancement request: `compare-windows' use across frames
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 02:51:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Think about `diff' output, for instance.

Thanks for the comparison with `diff' output.  I installed the patch
that adds a message similar to `diff' output, e.g.:

  Diff -7069,7233 +8280,8323 with compare-w.el

Subject: 25.0.50; enhancement request: `compare-windows' use across frames
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:24:26 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Provide support for `compare-windows' to compare two windows in
different frames.  Ediff lets you compare buffers in different frames.
It would be great if `compare-windows' did also.

Yes, this would require users to choose the windows, instead of just
using the selected window and the next window.  This could be optional.

Or it could be solicited by, e.g., using a particular prefix arg value.
E.g., with a non-negative prefix arg, do what the presence of any prefix
arg does now.  With a non-positive prefix arg, prompt the user to choose
the 2 windows.  (So a zero prefix arg would do both.)

Choosing a window could take any reasonable form: click mouse-1 in it,
choose by its buffer name (with uniquification when multiple windows
show the same buffer),...

Successive calls (with no prefix arg) should, as now, keep using the
same two windows.

(None of the current behavior should be lost, in particular, behavior
per `compare-windows-sync'.)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'