Subject: Re: bug#19165: 24.4; annoying questions on newsticker startup

From: Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:19:44 +0100

Max <[email-masked]> writes:

> Every time I start newsticker in treeview mode I'm asked 2 completely
> meaningless questions which is highly annoying:
> - if I should use existing group file (of course yes, that's why I've
> made it in a first place!)

> - if I want to delete group file (of course not, why the hell would I
> delete my own file?!)
>
> Would be excellent if no such questions were asked - or at least if
> there should be a way to set sensible default answers and remove the annoyance.

I guess the questions you are talking about are

  "Old newsticker groups (%s) file exists.  Read it? "

where '%s' is something like "~/.newsticker-groups" and

  "Delete old newsticker groups file? "

In that case you probably also see a warning about the obsolete variable
`newsticker-groups-filename'.

The problem here is that there still exists a groups file at the location
specified by that obsolete variable.  Newsticker is offering to move its
contents to the new location.  Admittedly, this is not clear from the
questions above.  I shall change the wording.

If you do not want to wait until I have finished that, you may just
answer 'yes' to the second question (about deleting the old groups file)
and you're done.

Ulf