Subject: Re: bug#19152: 25.0.50; Suggestions for M-x commands

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:09:33 +0000

>>>>> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> One more reason for the new features to provide a way for the user
 >> to opt out, – just in case they turn to be buggy.

 > Options to circumvent bugs are a bad idea, in general (with
 > exceptions, of course, like everything, such as when the bug is
 > particularly hard to fix, or occurs in some code we can't control).

	Analogously speaking, isn’t --without-x-toolkit just an option
	to circumvent Gtk-related bugs?

 >>>> I believe there should be a variable to customize this behavior
 >>>> (say, suggest-shorter-command-limit; defaulting to 5, but with nil
 >>>> as an option to disable such suggestions altogether.)  As a
 >>>> workaround, I’ve simply disabled it entirely (see the patch
 >>>> MIMEd.)

 >>> I don't think that's needed.

 >> The mere fact that bug#19152 was filed suggests otherwise.

 > An option to turn the feature off is fine.  An option to choose the
 > number of chars we have to gain is not.

	Why not?

	Diff-wise, the difference is two lines only: one in defcustom,
	to allow for an integer value for the option; the other in
	execute-extended-command--shorter, to replace the currently
	magic 5.

	That said, I’m fine with doing it either way.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A