Subject: Re: bug#19152: 25.0.50; "You can run the command `debug-on-entry' with M-x deb-o RET"

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 2014 18:54:41 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Please remove such silly messages, which do not tell users about a *key
>> sequence* bound to the command they entered.

+1

> Actually I find these messages very instructive for people like me,
> which had no idea about this (new with Emacs-25?) abbreviation ability!

Which is of questionable value and questionable safety.  Read the anecdote
in entry "DWIM" of the New Hacker's Dictionary (about somebody having his
command "delete *$" helpfully interpreted as "delete *") to see why.

This feature is even present in Emacs 24.3.  I'm now going to find out how
to turn it off, once and for all.

>        Dieter

> -- 
> Best wishes
> H. Dieter Wilhelm
> Darmstadt, Germany

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).