Subject: Re: bug#19152: 25.0.50; "You can run the command `debug-on-entry' with M-x deb-o RET"

From: [email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:14:28 +0100

Hi Jay,

Jay Belanger <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:
>> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Please remove such silly messages, which do not tell users about a *key
>>> sequence* bound to the command they entered.
>>
>> Actually I find these messages very instructive for people like me,
>> which had no idea about this (new with Emacs-25?) abbreviation ability!
>
> Do you use the abbreviations a lot?

I used them not yet so often but since I'm using more and more commands
without key-bindings (which is painful when you already know which
command you want) I'm going to use them for

- debug-on-entry (d-on-)
- debbugs-gnu-bugs (d-g-b)
- re-builder (re-b)
- eval-buffer (e-bu)
- log-edit-insert-changelog (l-e-i-c)

> The full M-x commands have descriptive names and are always available;
> the abbreviations given have neither of these qualities.

But the descriptive names remain available, it's just when you know what
you want you are empowered to type it faster, aren't you?  Hmm, I should
have reported that I'm using icomplete-mode, of course, this mode feels
so natural that I'm already took it for granted, sorry!  With (setq
icomplete-mode t) you can see both the full descriptive names and the
abbreviation.

Have a nice day

     Dieter

-- 
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt, Germany