Subject: bug#19146: 25.0.50; RFE: non-interactive package upgrade

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 10:18:17 -0400

package.el is now broken.
"emacs" fails on startup with `Wrong type argument: stringp, nil`.
"emacs -q" works, when I load `package-quickstart.el` manually, I get
`(void-variable package-activated-list)`.
When I manually do `M-x package-initialize`, I can compile and load
`package-quickstart.el`.

When I try to evaluate .emacs, `load-path` does _not_ contain any
paths to any installed package.

Also, `emacs --batch --load package -funcall package-update-all`
prints `No packages to update` while interactively it _does_ find
packages to update.
I suspect that this is because `--batch` implies `-q` which means that
batch emacs does not know about my local packages?

On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 22:25, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Thank you!
> > So, does
> > emacs --funcall package-update-all
> > work now?
>
> It defaults to querying, so you should say --eval '(package-update-all t)'.
>
> But I haven't actually tested.
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org> <http://www.childpsy.net>
<http://steingoldpsychology.com>