Subject: Re: bug#19145: 24.4; prettify-symbols-mode inconsistent behavior

From: Ken Mankoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:57:19 -0500

* On 2014-11-22 at 11:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Much improved! Of my examples, only one case no longer works which is
>> delta_x or foo_x_x_x_x, for example.
>
> This would seem to indicate that the syntax-table of the major-mode in
> effect has marked the underscore character with "symbol syntax"
> (denoted confusingly enough by an underscore character, in the `C-u
> C-x =' help).
>
> Such a setting is appropriate is "delta_x" is one identifier, but not
> if it's supposed to be 3 elements (identifier "delta", infix "_", and
> identifier "x").
>
> So, is this setting correct (i.e. does your language treat "delta_x"
> as a single identifier, and you're trying to prettify subparts of
> identifiers)?

I'm not sure. I'm just using python and elpy (and therefore
python-mode). I think underscores are normal characters, and a_b is a
generic variable name, three characters long. There is nothing special
about _ or _b (compared to LaTeX and LaTeX-mode, where there is
meaning).

Does this mean I should file an issue with python-mode, or more likely
that everything is working as it should, and I'm just running into an
edge case that can only be covered by a more complex implementation that
uses regexes?

  -k.