Subject: bug#19141: Emacs 24.4: ShellExecute fails in one case under Windows 7

From: AW <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:30:10 +0100

Windows 7, Emacs 24.4 from GNU, cmd.exe, `emacs -Q`

I opened this file in Emacs from a local HDD "shell-bug.org":

============================

#+LINK: foo //SBS2011/Emacs/%s
#+LINK: fuu C:/texlive/%s
#+LINK: faa u:/Emacs/%s

* A Heading

This is an orgmode file. Such files can contain links. We have to make
a difference between links to files, which can be opened by Emacs and
files, which have to be opened with a browser or a pdf viewer.

What works:

[[fuu:baz.pdf]] - a link to a local file, which has to be opened in a pdf
viewer, using an abbrevation for the path.

[[faa:baz.pdf]] -- a link to a file on the server (SBS 2011), using an
abbrevation for the path.

[[file://SBS2011/Emacs/baz.tex]] -- a link to a file on the server, using
a share name, but no abbrevation for the path.

[[foo:baz.tex]] -- a link to a file on the server, using an abbrevation
for the share name and the path, but the file will be opened in Emacs.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

[[foo:baz.pdf]] -- a link to a file on the server, using an abbrevation
for the share name and the path, but the file will be opened in a PDF
viewer.

[[foo:baz.html]] -- same case, but html file, which should be opened with
firefox.

===========================

If I put the cursor on one of the links below the line "WHAT DOESN'T
WORK" and try to open it (C-c C-l), I expect that Emacs opens the file
with -- depending on the file type -- a pdf viewer or a browser.

But I get an error message, see below ("ShellExecute failed:...") => file
can not be found.

This used to work with Emacs 24.3. The share //SBS2011/Emacs and
U:/Emacs are the same folder on the server. 

tl;dr: ShellExecute fails, if

1. the path uses an abbrevation for the file name +
2. the abbrevation contains a share name          +
3. the file has to be opened with an external software

This used to work under Emacs 24.3

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> D : d a 
t e n <tab> t e m p <tab> 1 4 1 1 2 1 <tab> <return> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <tab> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> C-c C-o M-x r e p o r t 
- e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
eval: ShellExecute failed: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils thingatpt org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired
cl-loaddefs cl-lib org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 135446 6349)
 (symbols 32 24687 0)
 (miscs 32 63 142)
 (strings 16 35100 4842)
 (string-bytes 1 1048213)
 (vectors 8 16852)
 (vector-slots 4 461363 5804)
 (floats 8 99 340)
 (intervals 28 302 37)
 (buffers 508 12))