Subject: Re: bug#19139: [PATCH] * etc/emacs.appdata.xml: Extend the description

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:16:36 +0200

(This was posted five years ago, but unfortunately got no attention at
the time.)

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <[email-masked]> writes:

> This extends the description to be easier to understand for
> users who have no idea what emacs is, and are trying to pick
> out an editor out of a list. Therefore it concentrates less
> on lisp and extensibility, but more on features and functionality
> and describes them more verbosely.
>
> There are also more screenshots, showing actual use, so people
> can see the editor in action in various modes.

I'm not sure that we can actually include any screenshots in this file?
It would be brittle to refer to external images, anyway...

> - <summary>An extensible text editor</summary>
> + <summary>Edit text files, view pictures and binary files</summary>

I'm not sure that's a more understandable description...

> -   GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor - and more.
> -   At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp
> -   programming language with extensions to support text editing.
> +   Emacs is a powerful, customizable, self-documenting, modeless
> +   editor. It is used primarely to edit text, including text
> +   documents, source code of programs, web pages and XML documents,
> +   but can also be used to display and edit binary files.

(etc)

I actually the original text here -- I'm not sure "modeless" is a
selling point, especially as you can just switch evil mode on and get a
modeful editor.

And so on -- the original text isn't perfect, but I think it's OK, so
I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no