Subject: bug#19138: Emacs crashes

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 05:09:14 -0500

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> With current emacs-24.4 of git 0276f69, the following crash occurs:
>>>
>>> I start emacs, which seems to launch a gtk version.
>>> Then I click on the first icon in the upper left, labelled
>>> "Specify a new's file name, to edit the file".
>>
>> Fixed in commit 71f5715, thanks.
>
> This fix causes two unfortunate side effects on my system:
>
> * When launching Emacs from the WindowMaker dock, the dock icon stays
>   gray forever (indicating that the program is launching).  However, it
>   should be noted that the WindowMaker dock handling of Emacs 24.4 was
>   already somewhat broken before this, although in a different way.

I fixed this by removing my old emacs dock icon, putting a new one back
in, and then editing its settings to change "-emacs-real" to "emacs" in
the launch commands.  So I guess most of the problems above were because
of the stale item, and the only remaining issue for new users will be
having the launch commands be "-emacs-real" by default.

> * The window title is now ".emacs-real@<hostname>".

I worked around this by setting Emacs.title in ~/.Xresources.

> Regarding the window title: it occurs to me that it would be better for
> our wrapper script to pass the original program name as argv[0].  This
> could be important for some programs whose behavior depends on argv[0].
>
>      Mark