Subject: Re: bug#19102: 24.4; outline-move-subtree-up/down error at last and second-last subtree

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:32:21 -0500

> Yes.  As long as there is a final newline, the only change the current
> code needs is to replace `=' with `eq'.  So given that
> require-final-newline is true for files in outline-mode, the only case
> that requires adding a final newline is a non-file outline-mode buffer
> that lacks a final newline.

I don't understand why there'd be a difference between file and
non-file buffers.  Outline-mode doesn't care about files at all.

The buffer can end without a newline both in the file and in the
non-file case, regardless of the require-final-newline setting.

OTOH, we can add a final newline pretty much any time we feel like it
(better not do it gratuitously, but in the present case I can't think
of any reason why we'd go out of our way just to avoid adding a final
newline).

Having failed to follow the thread until now, I don't know what
should be done, but I hope this comment of mine can help someone
else decide.

        Stefan