Subject: bug#19096: closed (Bug #19096: 25.0.50; suggest-key-bindings doesn't work with a nil value)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:50:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19096: 25.0.50; suggest-key-bindings doesn't work with a nil value

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19096: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19096
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Bug #19096: 25.0.50; suggest-key-bindings doesn't work with a nil value
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 13:49:28 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.0.95

AFAICT this is fixed in Emacs 25 pretest.

Subject: 25.0.50; suggest-key-bindings doesn't work with a nil value
From: Vicente Vera <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:56:01 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Emacs 25.0.50.1 (repository revision:
5813f93cab1a81eba6eef735add5ca7cb1d15e8e) the function
'execute-extended-command' accepts only numeric values from the
variable 'suggest-key-bindings'. Setting a nil value won't disable the
suggestion message shown in the minibuffer.

In 'simple.el', line 1691, the function looks for a non-nil value in
'suggest-key-bindings', but afterwards it only accepts numeric values.
Therefore, a nil value will trigger the default behaviour, which is
printing the "You can run the command `%s' with %s" message after 2
seconds. A workaround: setting 'suggest-key-bindings' to 0.

Also, in line 1670, a conditional construct has been commented out:
";; (when binding". But it seems this is not directly related with the
issue.