Subject: bug#19080: 24.4; wish: enable show-paren-mode to highlight matching same-level keywords

From: Josh Berdine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:34:43 +0000

emacs -Q
M-x load-file
~/.opam/4.02.1/share/tuareg/tuareg.el
M-x tuareg-mode
M-x show-paren-mode
let f () =
  let x = 0 in
  ()
C-u 17 C-b

This starts a fresh emacs, loads the tuareg mode, enables
show-paren-mode, enters some ocaml code, and puts the point on a 'let'
keyword.

In this situation, it would be helpful if the 'let' and corresponding
'in' were highlighted in 'show-paren-match-face'.  And similarly for
"fun", "if", "match", and "try".

See related discussion at
<https://github.com/ocaml/tuareg/issues/26#issuecomment-63101028>.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-11-11 on juniper, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Tuareg

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x l o a d - f i l e <return> C-y <return> M-x t u 
a r e g - m o d e <return> M-x s h o w - p a r e n 
- m o d e <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-y C-u 
1 7 C-b M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading /home/jjb/.opam/4.02.1/share/tuareg/tuareg.el (source)...done
Show-Paren mode enabled

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load paren caml tuareg
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe skeleton compile comint ansi-color ring
derived smie cl-macs easymenu cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 109132 5468)
 (symbols 48 20890 0)
 (miscs 40 45 136)
 (strings 32 17549 4306)
 (string-bytes 1 487656)
 (vectors 16 11154)
 (vector-slots 8 402826 5044)
 (floats 8 65 238)
 (intervals 56 286 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 17476 1105))