Subject: bug#19073: Ispell fails to initialise when hunspell does not report any loaded dictionaries

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:45:16 +0200

> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:34:57 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Peter Oliver <[email-masked]>
> 
> The build of Hunspell 1.3.2 at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/ from doesn't 
> output the "LOADED DICTIONARY:" section when "hunspell -D" is run.

It does for me:

  D:\usr\eli>hunspell -a -D
  SEARCH PATH:
  .;;C:\Hunspell\;D:\usr\eli\.openoffice.org\3\user\wordbook;D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.2\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.1\share\dict\ooo\;C:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\share\dict\ooo\
  AVAILABLE DICTIONARIES (path is not mandatory for -d option):
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\default
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\ENU
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\en_GB
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\en_US
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\HEB
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\he_IL
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\ru_RU
  LOADED DICTIONARY:                         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\default.aff   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  D:\usr\bin\..\share\hunspell\default.dic   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  @(#) International Ispell Version 3.2.06 (but really Hunspell 1.3.2)

> I don't know if this is a bug in hunspell, or in the build, or if
> this feature is missing on Windows, or if there is some other
> reason.

I'm guessing that you have an old binary of the ported Hunspell.
Please install the latest one from ezwinports and try again.  (I'm
using that myself with Emacs 24.4, and have absolutely no problems.)
This problem indeed existed in the original port, but once I started
using Emacs 24.4, I fixed it and uploaded a fixed binary (in April
this year).