Subject: bug#19070: 25.0.50; Provide a user option that filters the buffer list for `switch-to-next-buffer'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 03:35:32 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Provide a user option with a regexp value that filters the buffers (by
> name) that are cycled through by `next-buffer' and `previous-buffer'.
> Buffer names matching the regexp would be excluded.

Emacs 27.1 added switch-to-prev-buffer-skip, but didn't include a simple
regexp form, and I agree that such a simple form is usually what people
want.  (I know you can achieve some of this stuff by making windows
dedicated, too, but that's another complication.)

> Or the option could be a cons, with one part determining whether the
> regexp is used to exclude or include and the other part being the
> regexp.

I see the charm, but for complex setups like that, I think using
dedicated windows would be the thing.

So I've now added switch-to-prev-buffer-skip-regexp to Emacs 29.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no