Subject: bug#19064: bug#17272: bug#19064: 25.0.50; `message' overwrites `y-or-n-p' prompt, so user misses it

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 22:29:50 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm sorry, but I can't follow this.  I don't know
> what's been changed, or why.  (There are even two
> bugs that are being handled here, apparently.)

I understand your question as if you want to know whether there has some
general magic been implemented to decide where to show messages.

AFAIU the issues fixed were all special cases were a message hided some
y-or-n-p prompt so that the user may have missed the prompt, or may have
wondered what to do to get it back.

> What I've said is that I object to an automatic
> attempt to determine, when the minibuffer is
> active, whether to realize the effect of `message'
> or the effect of `minibuffer-message'.

AFAICT only the behavior for these special situations have been made a
bit more user friendly, and all other calls of message or mb-message are
uneffected (is that correct, Juri?) so that third party stuff should not
be affected.  `y-or-n-p' has been reimplemented to use
read-from-minibuffer instead of read-key, however (Juri please correct
me if I'm wrong).

Michael.