Subject: bug#19064: 25.0.50; `message' overwrites `y-or-n-p' prompt, so user misses it

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:45:43 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Seems like whenever `y-or-n-p' (or just `read-key') is waiting
>   for a key, `message' should do nothing.  Either it should echo
>   its message after the key is read or (maybe better) it should
>   do nothing at all.  As it stands now, this seems like a basic
>   UI problem, not just a minor annoyance.

I tried this here with emacs 25:

(progn
  (man "X")
  (y-or-n-p "-->"))

This stills behave as described: the prompt disappears and doesn't come
back from alone.

OTOH, a simple call to message done from within a timer doesn't behave
like this.  So this seems to be special to process sentinels, thus it's
probably a rare situation that this happens - a bit annoying
nonetheless.

Michael.