Subject: Re: bug#19053: 25.0.50; docview fails on 24.4 and 25.0

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:32:24 +0100

William Lederer <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi William,

> Opening up a PDF file results in the message
>
> DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to trace/BPT trap: 5.
>
> and no view of the file.
>
> This seemed to begin happening with emacs 24.4.
>
> This also happens if configured without the "--with-ns" and running
> under xquartz.

I don't have a Mac to test but searching the web a bit seems to suggest
that you get a BPT trap signal on OSX when some dynamic library cannot
be loaded.  Maybe some image library (libpng, ImageMagic) you linked
emacs with isn't available anymore?  But then, it would be strange that
you get the signal during the conversion process...

Other search results seem to indicate that this signal might also be
caused by some brokenness in PATH.  Could you please eval this?

  (or (executable-find doc-view-pdfdraw-program)
      (executable-find doc-view-ghostscript-program)) ; <-- C-x C-e here

This should return the program used for converting ps/pdf files to png
images, e.g., here it returns "/usr/bin/mupdf".

And can you please check if the program returned by the expression above
can be called without BPT trap signal from the command line and from
inside emacs using `M-x shell-command RET /usr/bin/mupdf RET'?

Bye,
Tassilo