Subject: bug#19053: 25.0.50; docview fails on 24.4 and 25.0

From: William Lederer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:38:13 -0600

Opening up a PDF file results in the message

DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to trace/BPT trap: 5.

and no view of the file.

This seemed to begin happening with emacs 24.4.

This also happens if configured without the "--with-ns" and running
under xquartz.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS appkit-1343.14 Version 10.10 (Build 14A389))
 of 2014-11-13 on jefferson
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1343
Configured using:
 `configure --x-includes=/opt/X11/include --x-libraries=/opt/X11/lib/
 --prefix=/Users/wgl --program-suffix=5a --with-ns'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: DocView

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote /Users/wgl/Documents/scanning/scanning-second/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 77 buffers restored, 1 failed to restore.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
DocView: process pdf/ps->png<1> changed status to trace/BPT trap: 5.
DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to trace/BPT trap: 5.
You can run the command `describe-font' with M-x d-fon RET
<nil> <down-mouse-1> is undefined
<nil> <drag-mouse-1> is undefined
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
DocView: process pdf/ps->png changed status to trace/BPT trap: 5.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20141025.429/magit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20141025.429/magit-wip hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-wip
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20141025.429/magit-key-mode hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-key-mode
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20141025.429/magit-blame hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-blame
/Users/wgl/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-2.8/contrib/bridge hides /Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/bridge
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/tree-widget hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/tree-widget
~/.emacs.d/elisp/remember-2.0/remember hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/remember
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-w3m hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-timer hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-table hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-src hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-rmail hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-protocol hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-plot hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-mouse hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-mobile hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-mhe hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-macs hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-list hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-irc hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-install hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-info hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-indent hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-id hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-habit hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-gnus hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-footnote hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-feed hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-faces hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-eshell hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-entities hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-docview hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-datetree hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-ctags hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-crypt hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-compat hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-colview hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-clock hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-capture hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-attach hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-archive hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/org-agenda hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-tangle hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-table hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-sql hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-shen hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-sh hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sh
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-screen hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-scheme hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-sass hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-ruby hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-ref hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-R hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-python hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-perl hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-org hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-octave hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-maxima hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-matlab hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-lob hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-lisp hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-ledger hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-latex hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-keys hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-js hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-java hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-haskell hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-fortran hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-exp hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-eval hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-dot hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-css hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-comint hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-clojure hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-calc hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-C hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-awk hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
/Users/wgl/.emacs.d/elisp/org-7.8.11/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /Users/wgl/bin/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug mule-diag help-mode warnings
vc-git vc-dispatcher vc-svn org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb conf-mode ruby-mode make-mode sh-script smie
executable vc-hg doc-view jka-compr image-mode package epg-config
zenburn color-theme sendmail reporter git ewoc paredit geiser-load
geiser org-remember org-datetree org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities
org-macs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs remember-autoloads psvn wid-edit
log-edit message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
diff-mode ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired html-mode jsp-html-helper-mode
asp-html-helper-mode php-html-helper-mode html-helper-mode tempo cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs generic-x w3m-load slime-banner slime-asdf grep slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc advice slime-repl elp slime-parse
slime byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv derived cl-extra help-fns gud
compile apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode
easymenu pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec cl-macs thingatpt
browse-url cl gv slime-autoloads go-mode-load edmacro kmacro saveplace
paren ido hi-lock desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
time time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 420917 46365)
 (symbols 48 41730 0)
 (miscs 40 489 854)
 (strings 32 83039 12069)
 (string-bytes 1 2460023)
 (vectors 16 30922)
 (vector-slots 8 695877 8957)
 (floats 8 205 344)
 (intervals 56 15746 0)
 (buffers 976 93))