Subject: bug#19049: 25.0.50; emacs-repository-get-version doesn't work with git

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 16:16:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> No, that's just the beginning.  Almost every question asked about this
> resulted in umpteen different answers.  Which one(s) to choose is
> another obstacle to negotiate, and it's not always easy, because each
> alternative has its subtle pro's and con's.
>
> We had 10 months and enough git expertise to discuss this and decide
> what's best.  And we wasted it.

Well, I think the problem here is that git experts really aren't the
people who are best suited to explain these things.  They don't know
what the incomprehensible things are.  "Well, of course you have to
stash the refs in the staging area!  That's self-evident!  You can't
merge if you have unstaged refs that point to the foreign origin!  I
mean master!"

So we get these recipes when people who aren't interested in git (like
me) are forced to learn how to use it.

I'll be summarising my experience in admin/notes tomorrow, since I now
have a (more or less) working setup.

And it'll be short, and won't mention the words "refs", "stash" or
"staging", but will just give the commands that you should use.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no