Subject: bug#19040: 25.0.50; Building from Git leaves emacs-repo-version at nil

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:52:40 -0500

emacs -Q
 M-: emacs-repo-version RET

The value is nil, contrary to what the doc string says.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2014-11-13 on fencepost.gnu.org
System Description:	Trisquel 4.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/e/eliz --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG PNG SOUND GPM NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE
M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
nil

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils xterm time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process gfilenotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80467 6226)
 (symbols 48 17971 0)
 (miscs 40 34 125)
 (strings 32 10868 4353)
 (string-bytes 1 293767)
 (vectors 16 8205)
 (vector-slots 8 348736 28714)
 (floats 8 73 331)
 (intervals 56 171 1)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 11047 1870))