Subject: bug#19031: 24.4; find-file in icomplete-mode shows completions with no input

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:35:22 +0100

Ole Laursen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Run emacs -Q, evaluate
>
>   (icomplete-mode 1)
>
> then press C-x C-f and wait a second. There's now completions in the
> minibuffer despite icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input being nil. Perhaps
> icomplete is confused by the current working dir being present in C-x
> C-f.

I think the icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input doc string is just
unclear here.  It seems like the point of the variable is that you can
set it to non-nil to force icomplete to wait until we have completions
before displaying the prompt?  When it's the default nil value, it'll
still show all the matches, but they may arrive asynchronously.

I've now clarified this in the doc string in Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no