Subject: Re: bug#19014: 25.0.50; Disable Org, Tbl, & Text menu items that change buffer when read-only

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:43:45 +0100

Hi Drew,

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are lots of menu items in the Org menu-bar menus (Org, Tbl, Text)
> that modify the buffer but are not disabled when the buffer is
> read-only.  They should be - they are no-ops in this context.
>
> This is all the more important because there are still plenty of menu
> items for commands that are useful in a read-only buffer.  Disabling the
> others makes those that are available more obvious and easier to select.

Do you often turn read-only on on Org buffers?

In what circumstances would users turn read-only on in Org buffers?

> That is what we do for the Edit menu, for example.  You can use it as a
> model, here.

I understand the suggestion, I'm trying to see if this is important or
not.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-- 
 Bastien