Subject: Re: bug#19012: 25.0.50; `help-window-select'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:28:19 +0100

> The description of `other' in the Customize buffer (and the doc string)
 > is incorrect.  Or else the behavior is bugged.
 >
 > If *Help* is shown in its own frame (e.g. from *Help* being a
 > special-display buffer), and if the option value is `other' (the
 > default), then the *Help* window (and frame) are *not* selected, in
 > contradiction to what the doc says.
 >
 > On MS Windows, at least, if the *Help* frame in this context does not
 > yet exist then yes, that frame (and thus the *Help* window is selected -
 > the frame gets the input focus.  But that is because Windows always
 > gives a newly created frame the focus.  And if the frame exists already
 > then no, the *Help* window and its frame are not selected.  Focus stays
 > with the frame where you invoked the help command.

It does get selected here on Windows XP.  What happens when you set
`help-window-select' to t?  Did you create the *Help* window with
`with-help-window'?  If so, please tell me the value of the
'quit-restore window parameter of the *Help* window.

 > Note too that the description is anyway inadequate, because it seems to
 > make the assumption that there *is* another window on the help window's
 > frame: "unless the selected window is the only other window on the help
 > window's frame" is not clear for the case where there is no such other
 > window.

When there is "no such other window" the selected window "is not the
only other window on the help window's frame".  What am I missing?

martin