Subject: bug#19012: 25.0.50; `help-window-select'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:56:53 -0800 (PST)

>  > I've been clear that (a) I do not want `raise-frame' to focus
>  > frames, and that (b) whether I, as one user, want that behavior
>  > or not, the behavior of that option should not affect whether
>  > `help-window-select' works.
> 
> So you want `raise-frame' to not select the frame and `with-help-
> window' select the frame?  Any preferences who should win that game?

There is no game.

1. `raise-frame' should not focus the frame (or unfocus it), unless
`w32-grab-focus-on-raise' is non-nil (or unless there is also some
other, similar option that makes `raise-frame' grab the focus).
And as far as I can tell, that is the case: it does not.

But even if it did, that should be irrelevant to what
`help-select-window' does (*this* bug).  `raise-frame' is punctual.
The scope and effect of `help-select-window' are controlled by
`with-help-window' (according to you, whom I believe; I'm no expert
on that, and that is not documented, AFAICT).

2. `help-window-select' = `t' (within `with-help-window', at least)
should select the help window.  (Likewise, for a value of `other',
unless the selected window is alone on the help-window's frame.)

This is all specified by the doc (except the connection between
`help-window-select' and `with-help-window').  And there is no
contradiction between #1 and #2.  `help-window-select' has nothing
to do with `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' and nothing to do with
`raise-frame' (at least according to its spec/doc). And it *should*
have nothing to do with them.

Whether `raise-frame' focuses the frame or not should be irrelevant
to the behavior imposed by `help-window-select'.  It is (according
to you) `with-help-window' that controls the scope of the effect
of `help-window-select'.  It is `with-help-window' that should
ensure that `help-window-select' has the effect it claims to have
when `with-help-window' is finished.

>  > It is you who stated what I should expect from the behavior
>  > of `help-select-window', provided the context is
>  > `with-help-window'.  *You* stated that it is a bug if the
>  > window is not selected.
> 
> So far you did not provide any evidence that the window is not
> selected.

Sure I did.  I said that it does not have the input focus.  Type
text and it goes to the window where you hit `C-h v'.  What's more,
the frame border highlighting shows that the frame is not focused.

You seem to be in denial, for some reason.  Believe me, the
*Help*-selecting effect of non-nil `help-select-window' disappears
if `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' is nil.

It should not disappear.  `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' should affect
only `raise-frame'.  And `help-window-select' & `with-help-window'
should not be affected by whether there is a call to `raise-frame'
or what such a call might do wrt frame focus.