Subject: Re: bug#19012: 25.0.50; `help-window-select'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:36:51 +0100

>> `temp-buffer-window-setup-hook' is run with *Help* current.  So you
 >> won't have any problems discriminating this special case.
 >
 > How so?  (Not clear to me.)

You can test if the current buffer shows *Help* and change
`w32-grab-focus-on-raise' only in that case.

 >> I cannot possibly use a feature like `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' whose
 >> semantics I neither understand nor can reenact in my environment in
 >> the frame/window code of Emacs.
 >
 > Do you mean use for testing (this bug)?

I think we have established that "this bug" is not a bug.  So please
refrain from calling it a bug.

 > Or do you mean use
 > in general, for your personal use of Emacs?

I don't understand what you mean here.

 > `w32*' is an Emacs option.  It is not something non-Emacs (e.g.,
 > from MS Windows), and it is not something that I dreamed up.
 > It, like `help-window-select', should work (for Emacs).  No?

`w32-grab-focus-on-raise' is a variable, not an option.  IIUC it is a
workaround that might work in some cases.  Apparently, it can fail in
other cases.

 > Would you please make this change to `help-window-setup'?

It would require further tuning.  In its current form it would focus a
frame that already has focus which is a bad idea.

martin