Subject: RE: bug#19012: 25.0.50; `help-window-select'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 06:40:35 -0800 (PST)

>  > 1. The `temp-buffer-*-hook's are not only about showing *Help*.
>  >     That workaround thus affects more than it should.
> 
> `temp-buffer-window-setup-hook' is run with *Help* current.  So you
> won't have any problems discriminating this special case.

How so?  (Not clear to me.)

`help-window-select' should be for *Help* functions only, not
for all uses of `with-output-to-temp-buffer'.  But I'm probably
not understanding your point.

>  > 2. Users of `w32*' should not need to do that explicitly
>  >    themselves.  Perhaps Emacs can do the equivalent, itself (but
>  >    limited to *Help*, not affecting all temp buffer display).
> 
> I cannot possibly use a feature like `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' whose
> semantics I neither understand nor can reenact in my environment in
> the frame/window code of Emacs.

Do you mean use for testing (this bug)?  Or do you mean use
in general, for your personal use of Emacs?

`w32*' is an Emacs option.  It is not something non-Emacs (e.g.,
from MS Windows), and it is not something that I dreamed up.
It, like `help-window-select', should work (for Emacs).  No?

> But we could change `help-window-setup' as follows:

Great.

That too (like setting `w32-grab-focus-on-raise' to t in
`temp-buffer-window-setup-hook' and setting it to nil in
`temp-buffer-window-show-hook') seems to fix the problem,
for both the test case and AFAICT in my setup.

Would you please make this change to `help-window-setup'?
If so, I think we can close the bug.

Thanks for your help.