Subject: bug#19003: closed (Re: bug#19003: 24.4; Mouse-click in different frame displaying same buffer breaks region)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 05:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19003: 24.4; Mouse-click in different frame displaying same buffer breaks region

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19003: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19003
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19003: 24.4; Mouse-click in different frame displaying same buffer breaks region
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Christian Tanzer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 00:30:50 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version:24.5

>> Would the patch below solve it for you?
> Yes, the patch in http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19003#11
> fixes the problem [tested against git branch emacs-24,
> commit 6688117e7924].

Thanks, installed,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.4; Mouse-click in different frame displaying same buffer breaks region
From: Christian Tanzer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 11:26:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Starting point
===============

A buffer is displayed in two frames, a region was
selected with the mouse in one of the frames.

The problem
=============

If one clicks (mouse-1) into the other frame, the region is silently
extended to that point — although it isn't highlighted anymore.
A subsequent mouse-yank-primary inserts the broken region.

I originally noticed this problem when I used mouse-yank-primary to
yank a region into a different frame (without fist using mouse-1 to
select that frame).

For mouse-yank-primary, it can be solved by moving 

    (or mouse-yank-at-point (mouse-set-point click))

into the `let' for `primary'. I have no idea how to solve it for
mouse-1 events. 

Emacs versions effected
=========================

I originally noticed the problem in Emacs 24.1.
It's still there in 24.4.

The problem occurs, when starting from `emacs -Q'.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.24)
 of 2014-10-22 on tr
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-silent-rules
 --disable-dependency-tracking --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=games --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --disable-acl --with-dbus
 --with-gnutls --with-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --without-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --without-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=gtk2
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4 'CFLAGS=-march=core2 -O2 -pipe'
 CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <switch-frame> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> 
<double-mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-2> r e p o r t - C-_ M-x r e p o r t <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(No files need saving)
C-x <mouse-5> is undefined
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Mark set
Undo!

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 90242 9111)
 (symbols 48 17584 0)
 (miscs 40 62 139)
 (strings 32 9232 4284)
 (string-bytes 1 253117)
 (vectors 16 9031)
 (vector-slots 8 394987 16042)
 (floats 8 67 531)
 (intervals 56 4353 0)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 13846 595))

-- 
Christian Tanzer                                    http://www.c-tanzer.at/