Subject: bug#18997: 24.4; IDLWAVE: Emacs crashes when trying to change the window while in the IDL shell

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:13:34 +0200

> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 14:48:14 -0800
> From: Gordon Farquharson <[email-masked]>
> 
> The following patch applied to 24.4 prevents emacs from crashing, but
> results in the icons not being displayed correctly. However, messed up
> icons is a far better result than a crash.

Thanks.

Actually, I'm a bit confused with this bug.  First, the original
report shows a deliberate abort via emacs_abort, while the followup
message talks about a segfault.  Are these the same problem or 2
different problems?  Is the problem you tried to fix with the patch a
segfault or an abort?

Also, could you please show an up-to-date backtrace for the problem,
from an Emacs built from the current Git master?  The function where
the problem happened originally seems to have been deleted in the
meantime.

Last, but not least: could you post a screenshot of the "messed up
icons" you get after applying the patch?  I'd like us to be able to
judge how acceptable this fix is, and I have no easy access to a
system where I can reproduce the problem myself.

Thanks again for working on this.