Subject: bug#18975: closed (Re: bug#18975: 24.4; vc-svn does not recognize file externals as svn-managed files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 12:05:01 +0000

Your bug report

#18975: 24.4; vc-svn does not recognize file externals as svn-managed files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18975: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18975
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18975: 24.4; vc-svn does not recognize file externals as svn-managed files
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 15:03:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 26.1

On 31.12.2019 12:32, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Please check the original issue and report back if you are still
> seeing the original issue.
> 
> Thanks in advance.

This has been fixed in 2017 in 9b9c93053 using the same kind of proposed 
change.

Thanks all! Closing.

Subject: 24.4; vc-svn does not recognize file externals as svn-managed files
From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 13:48:16 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I added a file external to an SVN tree.
Opening the file does not add any SVN information to the mode line,
and operations like [C-x v l] report "File is not under version
control".

svn status reports the file just fine (but with the X in column 5
to indicate that it's an external). Looking at vc-svn-parse-status,
that's the problem - it explicitly ignores files with 'X' markers.

However, if its argument is expected to be a file, not a directory,
I don't think that makes sense. If it's a file inside a directory
external, vc-svn-root would report that directory external, and a status
on it would not include the X (it would only be shown on status output
from above the external).
Changing

    (while (re-search-forward
            ;; Ignore the files with status X.
	    "^\\(?:\\?\\|[ ACDGIMR!~][ MC][ L][ +][ S]..\\([ *]\\) +\\([-0-9]+\\) +\\([0-9?]+\\) +\\([^ ]+\\)\\) +" nil t)

to

    (while (re-search-forward
	    "^\\(?:\\?\\|[ ACDGIMR!~][ MC][ L][ +][ SX]..\\([ *]\\) +\\([-0-9]+\\) +\\([0-9?]+\\) +\\([^ ]+\\)\\) +" nil t)

resolves my issue, but I can't be sure it doesn't cause problems
elsewhere.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.3)
 of 2014-10-25 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `HC-Consult', version 11.0.11500001
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums find-func python json
grep compile make-mode diff-mode vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring add-log log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util
vc help-mode misearch multi-isearch vc-dispatcher vc-svn cperl-mode
easymenu dired whitespace zastai jka-compr paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr wid-edit cl-loaddefs
cl-lib time delsel cus-start cus-load 50magit devhelp time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 162376 11391)
 (symbols 48 24144 0)
 (miscs 40 108 620)
 (strings 32 27856 5500)
 (string-bytes 1 841486)
 (vectors 16 14973)
 (vector-slots 8 442867 10009)
 (floats 8 81 443)
 (intervals 56 5084 590)
 (buffers 960 24)
 (heap 1024 22599 906))