Subject: 25.0.50; byte compiler warnings don't conform to GCS

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:58:04 -0700

I got this warning from the byte compiler:

q.el:2:8:Warning: value returned from (aref v 0) is unused

This doesn't fully conform to the GNU Coding Standards.
>From (info "(standards) Errors")

    If you want to mention the column number, use one of these formats:

         SOURCE-FILE-NAME:LINENO:COLUMN: MESSAGE
         SOURCE-FILE-NAME:LINENO.COLUMN: MESSAGE

The output here is missing a space after the ":".

Also I think the "W" in warning should probably not be capitalized.
I note that GCC doesn't do this.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-11-02 on bapiya
Repository revision: 118270 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill

Recent input:
d , SPC t h e r e ' s SPC n o t SPC m u c h SPC C-z 
n C-h i C-s s t a n d C-s C-a m <return> C-s w a r 
n i n g : C-s C-s C-a s e r r o r C-g C-s e r r o r 
: C-s C-s C-s C-a 1 C-v n n n m e r r <tab> <return> 
C-z n <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
C-/ t h e <M-backspace> i t ' s SPC a SPC <M-backspace> 
s t i l l SPC c o n v e n i e n t SPC t o SPC u s e 
SPC ' p o p ' SPC a n d SPC C-h f r e m o v <tab> <tab> 
<M-backspace> p o p <return> C-z n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
z n l C-z n t h e r e SPC i s n ' t SPC a SPC c o n 
v e n i e n t SPC s u b s t i t u t e . C-x 1 M-v C-p 
C-b C-b C-b C-b C-e M-b M-b M-b <M-backspace> <backspace> 
, SPC C-n <backspace> , SPC a n d SPC i t <M-backspace> 
t h e r e SPC i <M-backspace> <M-backspace> s o SPC 
t h e r e SPC i s n ' t SPC a n y t h i n g SPC u s 
e f u l SPC t o SPC b e SPC d o n e SPC a b o u t SPC 
t h i s SPC w a r n i n g . M-q C-f C-f C-c C-c y e 
s <return> C-z n C-z n M-x M-p <return>

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
z is undefined
Mark set
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/css-mode-1.0/css-mode hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(mailalias view xterm shadow emacsbug python json elcomp mail-hist
find-dired pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu shell make-mode flow-fill mule-util
bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks sort gnus-cite smiley shr-color color shr browse-url
mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com
warnings cl gnutls network-stream starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry
registry eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader idutils
derived log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe dabbrev help-mode debug copyright misearch multi-isearch
edebug texinfo sh-script smie executable sgml-mode org-element org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view image-mode
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs smerge-mode diff-mode easy-mmode bug-reference goto-addr
add-log vc-arch vc-mtn vc-hg jka-compr dired vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs vc-bzr cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds vc-git flyspell
ispell diminish projectile edmacro kmacro pkg-info find-func lisp-mnt
epl grep compile dash s appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs which-func imenu minimap autorevert filenotify desktop
frameset cus-start cus-load status erc-services erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source cl-macs
gv eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core
cl-loaddefs cl-lib gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt
pp advice help-fns vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring
server savehist dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads
jabber-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info
easymenu weblogger-autoloads package epg-config bbdb-autoloads time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1069522 168854)
 (symbols 48 101419 15)
 (miscs 40 42592 4764)
 (strings 32 316083 71200)
 (string-bytes 1 7505203)
 (vectors 16 97711)
 (vector-slots 8 2099685 83602)
 (floats 8 563 1012)
 (intervals 56 60524 9259)
 (buffers 976 233)
 (heap 1024 260455 33054))

Tom