Subject: bug#18967: closed (Re: bug#18967: Tramp disables important SSH security features)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 11:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#18967: Tramp disables important SSH security features

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18967: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18967
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18967: Tramp disables important SSH security features
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>, Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:44:23 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 26.1

> I have some plans for a while to obsolete tramp-gw.el. When I wrote it
> back in 2007, it was the only possibility to have an own implementation
> of HTTP CONNECT tunneling.
>
> Meanwhile, putty supports HTTP CONNECT natively. And with ssh, one could
> use a ProxyCommand based on "nc -X connect ...". No need for Tramp to
> implement it itself anymore.
>
> This would perform much better than my implementation in
> tramp-gw.el. And this bug would disappear automatically.
>
> So let's keep this bug as reminder. And I will see, whether I could
> document these settings in the Tramp manual. There are some free days
> next two weeks, isn't it the Xmas break?

Done, closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: Tramp disables important SSH security features
From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
To: bug-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 00:47:40 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tramp disables SSH host key checks by setting
GlobalKnownHostsFile=/dev/null, UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null, and
StrictHostKeyChecking=no in its default method configuration. These
settings allow attackers to intercept connections to remote hosts, sniff
passwords, and cause other mischief. I don't think we should ship an
insecure configuration.