Subject: bug#18967: Tramp disables important SSH security features

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:37:50 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

> Thanks for explaining the issue. It sounds to me like closing this as
> wontfix would be appropriate.

Perhaps.

I have some plans for a while to obsolete tramp-gw.el. When I wrote it
back in 2007, it was the only possibility to have an own implementation
of HTTP CONNECT tunneling.

Meanwhile, putty supports HTTP CONNECT natively. And with ssh, one could
use a ProxyCommand based on "nc -X connect ...". No need for Tramp to
implement it itself anymore.

This would perform much better than my implementation in
tramp-gw.el. And this bug would disappear automatically.

So let's keep this bug as reminder. And I will see, whether I could
document these settings in the Tramp manual. There are some free days
next two weeks, isn't it the Xmas break?

Best regards, Michael.