Subject: Re: bug#18958: 25.0.50; auto-revert-mode reacts slowly even if using an event-driven backend

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:05:04 +0100

Dima Kogan <[email-masked]> writes:

>> glib is said to use also polling for file systems where you don't have
>> native file notification support. This would make it superior to inotify
>> for mounted filesystems, and alike.
>
> But how is it superior? Didn't you just say that when inotify fails then
> emacs polls, just as would happen with gfilenotify? To confirm, I just
> used an inotify-configured emacs to auto-revert on a file mounted on a
> network samba mount. As expected, the auto-revert-mode does work, but in
> a polled instead of event-driven fashion. So unless I'm missing
> something, then when you run the current emacs code on Linux both
> inotify and gfile work the same way EXCEPT gfile always has a 1-second
> notification delay while inotify does not. I'm probably missing
> something.

I meant gfilenotify is superior to inotify wrt file notifications due to
its polling feature. That does not mean auto-revert, since Emacs has its
own polling mechanism here.

Best regards, Michael.