Subject: bug#18958: 25.0.50; auto-revert-mode reacts slowly even if using an event-driven backend

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 13:43:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Per default, I have enabled gfilenotify as notification library; it
>> works also w/o problems. Of course, I cannot speak for w32notify, maybe
>> somebody can run a short test.
>
> If you can tell me what test to run, I can try doing that.

I fear we have no ert test case yet, it is a matter of timing. Maybe I
write something next days, or somebody else has a got idea how to do.

Test: Open a file in Emacs, and enable auto-revert-mode or
auto-revert-tail-mode. Change it outside Emacs. The reverted file shall
be shown immediately in Emacs.

Since it is not obvious whether the reversion was triggered by the
notification event directly, or by the auto-revert-buffers call every
auto-revert-interval seconds, you might run the test several times. Note,
that a direct revert triggered by the notification event happens only
once every auto-revert-interval period, in order to defend against fast
series of notification events.

Another test I would also like to see on w32 is for the change I've
committed some few minutes ago: auto-revert of dired buffers. Call
auto-revert-mode on a dired buffer, and create/delete a file in the
respective directory outside Emacs. The dired buffer shall be reverted
immediately as well.

> Thanks.

Thanks, Michael.