Subject: bug#18952: closed (Re: bug#18952: 24.4; delete weirdness in cua mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:57:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18952: 24.4; delete weirdness in cua mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18952: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18952
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18952: 24.4; delete weirdness in cua mode
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Grover <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:56:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version:24.5

> Ah! ok, I also have cua-highlight-region-shift-only t in my Customize
> section, so I hit this without trying? But here's a way to repro,
> starting from emacs -Q:

Ah, I see it now.  I installed the patch below, which seems to fix it.
Thanks,

        Stefan

=== modified file 'lisp/emulation/cua-base.el'
--- lisp/emulation/cua-base.el	2014-10-31 15:31:27 +0000
+++ lisp/emulation/cua-base.el	2014-11-07 19:51:19 +0000
@@ -1199,7 +1199,7 @@
 (defun cua--select-keymaps ()
   ;; Setup conditions for selecting the proper keymaps in cua--keymap-alist.
   (setq cua--ena-region-keymap
-	(and mark-active (not deactivate-mark)))
+	(and (region-active-p) (not deactivate-mark)))
   (setq cua--ena-prefix-override-keymap
 	(and cua--ena-region-keymap
 	     cua-enable-cua-keys

Subject: 24.4; delete weirdness in cua mode
From: Andy Grover <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 23:11:41 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

to reproduce:
1) hold down up or down-arrow while editing init.el then release
2) hit backspace

expected behavior: one character deleted

existing behavior: seemingly-random huge amount of stuff in the buffer
deleted

Thanks -- Andy

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.3)
 of 2014-10-27 on buildhw-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11601000
Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  superword-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-s <up> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior>
<next> <next> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down>
<S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down> <S-down>
<S-down> C-c <timeout> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right>
<up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<backspace> C-z <backspace> C-z <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <backspace> C-z C-SPC <up> <up> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <backspace> C-z C-SPC
<backspace> C-z <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <backspace> C-z <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5>
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5>
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5>
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5>
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4>
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-known-problems>
M-w <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
cua-scroll-down: Beginning of buffer
Mark set
Undo! [3 times]
Mark cleared
Undo!
Mark cleared
Undo! [2 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [20 times]
Note: file is write protected
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.

Load-path shadows:
/home/agrover/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-0.4.16/flymake hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/progmodes/flymake

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils goto-addr thingatpt noutline outline
easy-mmode view python json comint ring ansi-color vc-git flycheck
find-func help-mode rx pcase subr-x dash cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs midnight ido swbuff superword subword flymake-autoloads
info easymenu pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
cm-mode-autoloads package epg-config saveplace delsel paren desktop
frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 146580 5509)
 (symbols 48 25089 0)
 (miscs 40 60 154)
 (strings 32 31826 5250)
 (string-bytes 1 941333)
 (vectors 16 16342)
 (vector-slots 8 451999 3474)
 (floats 8 99 375)
 (intervals 56 802 4)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 49667 1054))