Subject: bug#18944: 24.4; perl-mode electric-indent inside here documents

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 01:12:56 +0200

Ed Avis <[email-masked]> writes:

> Start a new buffer and M-x perl-mode.  Enter this text:
>
> my $x = <<END
>
> and hit Return.  The cursor is positioned on the next line indented by
> four spaces (depending on your default indent level).  This is not
> really correct; most of the time you don't want your quoted string to
> start with four literal space characters, so it would be more helpful
> for Emacs not to indent.

I can't reproduce this on Emacs 26.1.  Are you still seeing this on a
more recent version of Emacs, for example the latest version 26.3?

If I don't hear back from you in a couple of weeks, I'll just assume
that this has been fixed while you were waiting for a reply and close
this as unreproducible.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas