Subject: bug#18940: 24.4; vc-hg does not disable pager, leading to hangs (at least with tramp)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:38:28 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> We need a mechanism which shall allow kind of let-bind the process
>> environment variables when starting a new (remote) process. But there
>> shall be also server-specific defaults to be used.
>> 
>> I haven't started yet a design, how this could look like. Proposals welcome!
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with let-binding
> process-environment?

process-environment handles local variables. Variables on the remote
host might require different settings.

Usually, let-binding of process-environment keeps its value, and
prepends some settings. That's not what could be applied for remote hosts.

Tramp has tramp-remote-process-environment, but this is not a
comprehensive solution. It is evaluated when a new connection is
establishes. So it could be useful for asynchronous processes, but it
doesn't play sufficiently for synchronous processes.

Best regards, Michael.