Subject: Re: bug#18931: 24.4; delete-frame suspends tty when running emacs on virtual terminal

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:40:00 +0100

Daniel McClanahan <[email-masked]> writes:

> To make this occur:
> 1) Run emacs -nw in a virtual terminal window and start server.
> 2) Run emacsclient -nw in another virtual terminal.
> 3) Run delete-frame on the client and observe the behavior in the original emacs
> terminal window.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

The term "virtual terminal" isn't anything I can recall having heard
before.  What is that?

> When I commented out that unless clause and rebuilt emacs the behavior
> disappears, so I'm confident I've correctly diagnosed the issue. I've
> created a defcustom in my local version of the development bzr branch
> of server.el to allow the user to specify whether this behavior should
> occur, defaulting to nil which enables the current behavior. Would
> sending a patch of this be acceptable, or does the project wish to
> simply continue the current behavior of server-delete-client?

A patch would be welcome.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no