Subject: Re: bug#18930: install-data-local fails with 2.4.3

From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 11:29:03 +0000

Hi Allan,

> On Nov 3, 2014, at 5:19 AM, Allan McRae <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> With the 2.4.3 release, I can no longer run "make
> DESTDIR=/install/install-data-local".  I get the following error:
> 
> GREP='/usr/bin/grep' SED='/usr/bin/sed' './build-aux/inline-source'
> libtoolize > '/install/usr/bin/libtoolize';
> /bin/sh: /install/usr/bin/libtoolize: No such file or directory
> 
> It looks like install-data-local requires libtoolize to be installed and
> should depend on install-binSCRIPTS.  Or even better, do not adjust
> libtoolize if it has not been installed (useful for installing libltdl
> files separately).

Thanks for the report.  I'm afraid I can't reproduce this.  From a
freshly downloaded and configured libtool-2.4.3.tar.gz, everything works
just fine here.

A few hints though:

- the invocation "build-aux/inline-source libtoolize > $destination" looks
  how I would expect, that's running the inline-source script over the
  just built libtoolize file in the build directory.

- there's no reason to set DESTDIR during regular make, it's only used
  when you run 'make install' (or sub-rules of install).

- if you have an install-data-local file in the current directory, then
  most make programs will consider the install-data-local rule to be
  already satisfied, and not bother to re-run it.  GNU make has the
  `.PHONY` pseudo-target to mitigate this issue though, and install-data-
  local is added to .PHONY in the libtool-2.4.2 Makefile, so GNU make at
  least ought to behave reasonably here.

I've changed the way libtoolize is installed since the 2.4.3 release on the
master branch though, and your message reminds me that I need to manually
add .PHONY dependencies to the new targets I added.

If you are comfortable with bootstrapping the autotools generated files
from a repository clone, and taking account of my hints above, please do
try again with the current master HEAD revision and let me know if you are
still having trouble.

Cheers,
-- 
Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)