Subject: bug#18922: closed (Re: bug#18922: 24.3; Not clear how to use TeX input method)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 01:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#18922: 24.3; Not clear how to use TeX input method

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18922: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18922
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18922: 24.3; Not clear how to use TeX input method
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Michael <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 03:45:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I think this was fixed in Emacs 24.4 (the OP uses 24.3, where indeed I
>> see what he reports).
> This is a good news! Can anybody confirm this?

I can confirm that the following:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x set-input-mode RET TeX RET
2. \"u

Leads to an ü character getting inserted.  So it seems like this has
indeed been fixed, and I'm therefore closing this bug report.  If
you're still seeing this on a recent version of Emacs, please reopen
this bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.3; Not clear how to use TeX input method
From: Michael Grünewald <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 23:17:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It is not clear how to use certain combinations for the input method
`tex-input-method'.

The command `describe-input-method` displays the following information:

    key     character(s)  [type a key (sequence) and select one from the
list]
    -------- ------------
    \"A     Ӓ Ǟ Ä

It is however unclear how select one item from this list.

The info page Input Methods [1] does not say anything about it. The info
page
Select an input method[2] contains misleading information. Indeed it
suggests
to use the function M-x quail-show-key to find out how to type a character,
but invoking this function on a ü for instance leads to the sequence "\"u"
which does not produce a ü but a ṳ. Also, the ṳ is first underlined which
suggests that more input can be added to select the right character.
I could nowhere find a clue, which input can be added to select the
right character, that is, a ü.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Input-Methods.html#Input-Methods
[2]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Select-Input-Method.html#Select-Input-Method

----
In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.22)
 of 2014-10-15 on 10amd64-default-job-13
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
Configured using:
 `configure '--localstatedir=/var' '--without-compress-info'
 '--with-dbus' '--with-gconf' '--with-gif' '--with-gnutls'
 '--with-gsettings' '--with-jpeg' '--with-m17n-flt' '--with-imagemagick'
 '--with-libotf' '--with-png' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 '--with-sound' '--with-rsvg' '--with-sync-input' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xim' '--with-xml2' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk2' '--with-x' '--x-libraries=/usr/local/lib'
 '--x-includes=/usr/local/include' '--prefix=/usr/local'
 '--mandir=/usr/local/man' '--infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/'
 '--build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.0'
 'build_alias=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.0' 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -fno-strict-aliasing' 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib' 'LIBS='
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include' 'CPP=cpp''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x s e t SPC i n <tab> <return> T e X <return>
\ " u <tab> 7 <backspace> <backspace> \ " u <f1> <C-f1>
\ " u h <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> \ u <tab>
<tab> <tab> a a <backspace> <backspace> \ u a 7 <backspace>
<backspace> <escape> x r e p o t <backspace> <backspace>
o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/michael/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
(lambda (p) ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading quail/latin-ltx...done
You can run the command `set-input-method' with C-x RET C-\
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
~/share/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-mode hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail mail-utils cus-start cus-load quail help-mode trac-wiki
warnings advice help-fns advice-preload xml-rpc cl-macs gv cl cl-lib
timezone url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-gw url-vars xml tex-mode edmacro kmacro emake
css-mode ocamldebug derived shell pcomplete caml tuareg speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe compile comint ansi-color ring smie easymenu
psgml-startup time-date whitespace tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Michael