Subject: bug#18920: Parted always chooses the logical sector size.

From: dE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:58:17 +0530

On 11/04/14 22:10, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:26:24PM +0530, dE wrote:
>> On 11/04/14 03:24, Brian C. Lane wrote:
>>> Assuming you are talking about linux -- parted uses the logical sector
>>> size returned by the kernel, which gets it from the drive.  We don't set
>>> to 512 arbitrarily. So if there is an actual problem it should be
>>> reported against the kernel.
>>>
>> Yes, the kernel reports both -- the logical and the physical. Parted knows
>> about it, it shows both the logical and physical sector size, but then also
>> it uses the logical sector size. It should not. There must be an option at
>> least, and I suggest it should be made the default otherwise the partitions
>> may start unaligned.
> Can you cite specific instances of problems using the logical size?
> Every tool that I am aware of uses it. As for not aligning parted
> defaults to 1MiB so unless you are forcing it to a specific sector you
> aren't going to see an issue.
>

Yeah, I'm forcing to a specific sector.

And in case you're doing that, this can cause some serious issues.

Besides the 512 sector size was included for compatibility purposes. So 
parted using that is pointless.