Subject: bug#18914: closed (2.0.11 REPL server listens on 127.0.0.1 but not "localhost")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:44:01 +0000

Your bug report

#18914: 2.0.11 REPL server listens on 127.0.0.1 but not "localhost"

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18914: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18914
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 2.0.11 REPL server listens on 127.0.0.1 but not "localhost"
From: Taylan Kammer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 22:43:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't have access to the exact system anymore since it's been more than
6 years, but on a Debian with the exact same /etc/hosts I can't reproduce
the issue anymore.  Since I was apparently the only one who could repro it
in the first place, I'm closing it now. :-)

Andy wrote:
> Could it be that "nc" is trying to connect to an IPv6 address?

Maybe that was the case on that system for some reason, despite the IPv4
address being on top in /etc/hosts and nslookup giving 127.0.0.1.

Maybe it was even a bug with the ncat I had installed, who knows.

-- 
Taylan

Subject: 2.0.11 REPL server listens on 127.0.0.1 but not "localhost"
From: [email-masked] ("Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer")
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:52:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After starting 'guile --listen', I can connect to it via 127.0.0.1 but
not "localhost": "Ncat: Connection refused."  I don't know if
listening on "localhost" by default has any security implications?

Shell 1:

tub@taylan:~$ guile --listen
GNU Guile 2.0.11
Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)>

Shell 2:

tub@taylan:~$ ncat localhost 37146
Ncat: Connection refused.
tub@taylan:~$ ncat 127.0.0.1 37146
GNU Guile 2.0.11
Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)>

Taylan