Subject: bug#18908: 25.0.50; "install-info" errors from "make install-strip"

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:31:53 +0100

Hello,

I've done an out-of-tree build of the current trunk with my usual
MinGW/MSYS environment.  Then, from that same build directory, I've
done this:

  $ make --version
  GNU Make 3.82.90
  Built for i686-pc-msys
  [...]
  $ rm -fr /c/usr1
  $ make install-strip GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG= prefix=/c/usr1 >
/c/tmp/make-install-strip.log 2>&1
  $ rm -fr /c/usr1
  $ make install GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG= prefix=/c/usr1 >
/c/tmp/make-install.log 2>&1

I'm attaching the two .log files obtained.  As you can see, the
"install-strip" target has generated some errors that are not present
when making the "install" target:

  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/make:
  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/Entering
  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/directory
  install-info: No such file or directory for
/c/usr1/share/info/`/home/Dani/emacs/trunk-build/doc/misc'
  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/make:
  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/Leaving
  install-info: No such file or directory for /c/usr1/share/info/directory
  install-info: No such file or directory for
/c/usr1/share/info/`/home/Dani/emacs/trunk-build/doc/misc'
  Makefile:634: recipe for target `install-info' failed
  make[1]: [install-info] Error 1 (ignored)

Eli suggested to add a "--no-print-directory" switch to this make
command (from the "install-info" recipe):

  info_misc=`MAKELEVEL=0 make -s -C doc/misc echo-info`; \

and it seems that works [1].

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Repository revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

--
Dani Moncayo

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-10/msg00930.html