Subject: bug#18900: 24.4; please don't include view-lossage in bug reports by default

From: David Bremner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 17:02:45 +0100

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Are you thinking of a reproducible bug?  It isn't needed for them.  It
> is meant to be useful for irreproducible bugs, if the user runs
> report-emacs-bug right away.
>
> To make it possible to ask for those data later, they have to be
> saved.  We could make report-emacs-bug save them in a file
> in case they are asked for.

I'd worry a bit about similar issues with writing sensitive information
to disk in clear text. Although this is almost certainly less severe of
a problem than sending the same information to a public mailing list, it
still doesn't seem like a good default to me.

What about a seperate function "report-bug-with-key-log" so that the
user has to consciously make a choice to send this information? One can
of course debate about the name, I would just prefer transparency to
tradition here.

Cheers,

David