Subject: Re: bug#18891: Doesn't handle pwd = /C: very well

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 16:50:23 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> After all, I believe the use case (local file name, which looks like a
>> remote one) isn't relevant enough to add ugly hacks.
>
> Agreed.  This said, I'm in favor of deprecating the "/<host>:" syntax in
> favor of "/<method>:<host>:", which should make the possibility of such
> conflicts even more remote (pun intended).

>From implementation point of view, I'm with you. It would make parsing a
file name easier.

I suspect using the "/<host>:" syntax was motivated by a smooth
migration from ange-ftp to Tramp. One could tell people, that they
should set tramp-default-method to "ftp", and they wouldn't need to
change anything.

That's more than a decade ago. Don't know, whether Emacs users are ready
to change to "/<method>:<host>:". And a default method like "/:<host>:"
is not applicable, because "/:" is used for something different.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.