Subject: bug#18891: Doesn't handle pwd = /C: very well

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:55:32 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Of course, that's the core of my suggestion to deprecate the
>>> /<host>: syntax.
>> And that's what annoys Andreas.
>
> So he'll have to add an entry to tramp-default-method-alist.
> Doesn't sound that terrible.

Looks like we are miscommunicating :-(

When the /<host>: syntax is deprecated, we must use /<method>:<host>:
There's no tramp-default-method-alist anymore.

When you still allow the /<host>: syntax, we have both
tramp-default-method-alist and tramp-default-method. The latter one is
used when there is no matching entry in tramp-default-method-alist.
Your proposal means to deprecate tramp-default-method, and to use the
/<method>:<host>: syntax for all hosts which are not matched in
tramp-default-method-alist. I don't see why it is better than the
current behaviour.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.