Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.20.72-d512

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:05:07 -0600

On 10/29/2014 12:29 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Thanks to many fixes and improvements by Paul Eggert and Norihiro Tanaka,
> here is a pre-release snapshot:
> 
> grep snapshot:
>   http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz      1.2 MB

You probably want to fix your process for sending these mails;
[email-masked]' is not the best Reply-To: option :)

I tried an incremental build of grep.git, and it hung waiting for user
input:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/eblake/grep/doc'
Updating ./version.texi
  MAKEINFO grep.info
  GEN      grep.1
mv: try to overwrite 'grep.1', overriding mode 0444 (r--r--r--)?

You probably want to fix that so that grep.1 (and egrep.1, fgrep.1)
don't require user interaction.

Building from git on cygwin runs into a compilation failure (due to git
builds enabling -Werror); I can work around it, and think the tarball
will be immune (since that defaults to leaving -Werror off):

  CC       openat-die.o
openat-die.c: In function 'openat_save_fail':
openat-die.c:34:1: error: function might be candidate for attribute
'noreturn' [-Werror=suggest-attribute=noreturn]
 openat_save_fail (int errnum)
 ^

and again for xstrtol_fatal.  Probably worth fixing in gnulib.

As well as:

  CC       grep.o
grep.c: In function 'usage':
grep.c:1683:1: warning: function might be candidate for attribute
'noreturn' [-Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn]
 usage (int status)
 ^

  CC       dfasearch.o
dfasearch.c: In function 'dfaerror':
dfasearch.c:60:1: warning: function might be candidate for attribute
'noreturn' [-Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn]
 dfaerror (char const *mesg)
 ^

I have no idea why cygwin complains while glibc doesn't; it may be some
property of transitive closures on what system headers have marked as
noreturn differing between the two platforms.

I also see:
\x0d FAILED to match \s
FAIL: multibyte-white-space

and am not sure if that is because cygwin's regex doesn't understand \s,
or because of a difference in how cygwin's locale is defined, or because
of a bug in grep.

I also see:

FAIL: surrogate-pair

and in this case, cygwin DOES have weird handling of surrogate pairs (it
chose wchar_t to be 2 bytes, which means surrogate pairs are required to
represent all Unicode characters).  Not sure if that will be easy to
fix, but it's not worth holding up the release.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org